Perfect Health Certification Course Syllabus
The Perfect Health Instructor Certification Course is the Chopra Center’s lifestyle program in Ayurveda and mind-body healing. You will immerse yourself in this timeless wisdom and learn to teach the practical tools and techniques that create physical and emotional balance; including meditation, yoga movements in the chair, breathing techniques, daily healing routines, emotional release techniques, and Ayurvedic fundamentals such as understanding the mind-body personality, Ayurvedic nutrition, and awakening the inner pharmacy through the senses.
To qualify for the Perfect Health Instructor Certification Course, the following steps must be completed:
1. Enroll, complete, sign and submit the application forms. A one page essay on why you would like to become certified must accompany the application.
2. Daily practice (two times a day) of the Primordial Sound Meditation technique learned in your community or at a Chopra Center event. Practicing the Primordial Sound Meditation technique for at least six months prior to the beginning of the scheduled certification course.
3. Daily practice of yoga and ayurvedic principles.
4. Complete the Seduction of Spirit meditation event, as a participant.
5. Complete the Journey into Healing event, as a participant.
6. Complete the six-day Perfect Health Program, the signature mind-body wellness program at the Chopra Center for Wellbeing at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa in Carlsbad, California, as a participant. Enrollment of the Perfect Health Program must be at the same time as enrollment for the Perfect Health certification course.
The Perfect Health Program must be completed within 12 months of the scheduled Perfect Health certification course. Attendance of the Perfect Health Program must be within three years of registering for the Perfect Health certification course.
7. Complete the Perfect Health home study process. The Home Study Kit will be shipped to you following completion of one of the prerequisites and after the enrollment process is completed.
8. Complete a telephone call with a Chopra Center staff member in the Certifications department.
9. Pass the at-home, online, open book pre-tests. These tests must be completed and passed 30 days before the start of the scheduled Perfect Health certification course.
10. Participate in required webinars in preparation for the Perfect Health certification course.
11. Participants have 18 months after the enrollment process is complete to complete the Perfect Health certification course.
12. In order to maintain your certification, you are required to attend one of the following Chopra Center events every two years: Seduction of Spirit, Journey into Healing, Silent Awakenings, Weekend with the Masters or the Perfect Health Program. Discounts are available.
The Perfect Health certification course has three phases:
PHASE I HOME STUDY PROCESS
PHASE II PRE-TESTS AND WEBINARS
PHASE III ON-SITE TRAINING
PHASE ONE – HOME STUDY PROCESS
The content in the Home Study Kit is the style and substance of the Perfect Health certification course. Please become familiar and comfortable with the content within the materials listed below.
Home Study Kit
1. Perfect Health Instructor Training Manual
2. Perfect Health, The Chopra Center Ayurvedic Lifestyle Program booklet (also called Participant Workbook)
3. Perfect Health by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
4. The Wisdom of Healing by David Simon, M.D.
5. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and Simon, M.D.
6. The Chopra Center Herbal Handbook by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and Simon, M.D.
7. Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg
8. Free to Love, Free to Heal by David Simon, M.D.
9. Anatomy & Physiology for Dummies by Donna Rae Siegfried.
10. Sanskrit Terminology CD
Note – This phase requires that all assigned books be read and the CD be reviewed before proceeding to the next training phase.
Suggested Study Plan
Everyone has their own individual study style and preference. We recommend the following plan:
First take a look at the whole syllabus to get acquainted with the course’s structure. You will also get a better idea of how to divide your time during each phase.
Go through the Perfect Health Instructor Manual and the Perfect Health, The Chopra Center Ayurvedic Lifestyle Program booklet to review the lessons and information you will be instructing as well as to assess the main points in each lesson.
Read all the books provided in the Home Study Kit. There is no particular order
Review and study the Seduction of Spirit and Journey into Healing binders provided at the events.
Review the resources and materials located on the Online Teacher’s Path Resource page.
Listen to the audio recordings of each lesson.
After reading the books, go back to the Perfect Health Instructor Manual and the Perfect Health, The Chopra Center Ayurvedic Lifestyle Program booklet and begin putting together your presentations for each lesson. Have your books with you for reference.
o The lessons in the Perfect Health Instructor Manual and the Perfect Health, The Chopra Center Ayurvedic Lifestyle Program booklet are the lessons you will be teaching as a Perfect Health certified instructor.
o Please memorize each lesson as well as practice presenting the lessons in your own words.
o It is required to practice teach with family members and friends. In addition, it’s recommended that you record/make a video of yourself for your review.
o Since you will be evaluated on all oral presentations during the Perfect Health certification course, the more you practice, the better you will be prepared for the certification course.
o Review the Presentation Evaluation Form in your manual to become familiar of the categories you will be evaluated on at the certification course. You may use notes during your presentations for Lessons One-Five.
o You are encouraged to bring in stories of your own experiences and examples of the main points using the format provided.
o Practice instructing the Sun Salutation Chair Sequence.
Sanskrit Terminology is an important component to the Perfect Health certification course.
o Learn and memorize the definitions of the Ayurvedic and Sanskrit terms in the Instructor Manual and the Sanskrit terms in your Journey into Healing binder.
o You are required to memorize the Sanskrit words and definitions prior to the certification course.
o Study the Sanskrit Terminology CD and listing provided in the Home Study Kit. The audio can also be downloaded from the Online Teacher’s Path Online Resource page.
o You can also practice the Sanskrit terms through this interactive, educational website, http://www.studystack.com/menu-328733
Continue to study and know the information in the Journey into Healing and Seduction of Spirit binders that you received at the evemts as well as the materials in the Home Study Kit before you take the pre-tests and attend the certification course.
Integrate the Ayurvedic Daily Routine into your schedule.
o You will be required to complete and turn in a log at the certification course.
o The log should reflect your routine three weeks prior to the certification course.
o All participants will turn in their completed log the first day of the certification course.
o Blank log sheets are in the back of the instructor manual.
Continue to meditate twice daily. We encourage you to also practice the advanced meditation technique learned at the Seduction of Spirit event.
After you have finished reading all the books in the Home Study Kit and you have reviewed the other materials, you will be ready to request the online pre-test.
PHASE II – PRE-TESTS AND WEBINARS
Articulate Online Pre-Tests
The Articulate online pre-test is an at-home, open book test. These tests include multiple choice, matching, and essay questions. You will be tested on all information in the home study materials, including the Seduction of Spirit and Journey Into Healing binders.
You may request your pre-test as early as three months (90 days) prior to the scheduled certification course date. Please note, the pre-test must be completed and passed 30 days prior to attending the scheduled certification course.
When you are ready to take the pre-test, please send an email to email@example.com. Please send this email 2-3 business days in advance and keep in mind that our office is closed on weekends. You will want to plan accordingly.
After receiving the information to start the pre-test, you will have four (4) days to take the test. Therefore, please request the pre-tests with sufficient time to have it completed and passed before the due date. There will be no exceptions.
If you devote some time every day to the materials, we are confident that you will be ready for the pre-test.
You must pass the pre-tests before attending the certification course.
Passing scores are as follows:
You will need to know the curriculum to achieve the required passing score of 90%.
If you do not pass a pre-test on the first trial, you may take it again after speaking with a Chopra Center Certifications staff member. In addition, you must have a passing score of 100% for the second testing.
If you do not pass the second time you will be asked to wait until you are more comfortable with the curriculum.
There will be several mandatory webinars designed to help you prepare for the certification course. You will be notified by email of the dates, times, and instructions. The dates are also listed on the Teacher’s Path Online Resource page. You are encouraged to attend all scheduled webinars as they occur, to stay connected with the information and receive updates. If you are unable to attend a scheduled webinar, you are required to listen to recorded sessions at your earliest convenience.
During the webinars we will provide information regarding the course, answer questions, and review the curriculum in preparation for a successful certification course. The duration of each webinar may be from 60-90 minutes.
All webinars are recorded and are made available to you within 2-3 business days for review at your convenience, prior to the certification course. Webinars are located on the Teachers Path Online Resource page.
PHASE III – ON-SITE TRAINING
This portion of the Perfect Health certification course includes includes daily group meditations, yoga classes (including yoga in the chair), lectures, group study, individual presentations in group settings, testing, instructor resources, aftercare program and information about marketing and setting up classes and workshops.
You will receive a sample schedule when it gets closer to the scheduled certification course. This can also be found on the Teachers Path Online Resources page.
*All participants are required to attend all sessions throughout the duration of the certification course and pass all testing to become certified. There will be no exceptions.
Requirements for certification
1. Know the Sanskrit terminology, including the definitions, spelling, and pronunciations. Sanskrit terminology will be tested in three occasions: on the final written test, during the chair yoga sequence, and during class presentations.
2. Oral presentations and proficiency of each lesson. You will be evaluated on your demonstration of delivery of the main points in each lesson.
3. Testing of the sun salutation chair sequence in the Perfect Health Instructor Training Manual.
a. You must be able to teach the Sun Salutation Chair sequence and will be tested on your instruction at the course. English with the Sanskrit terms are required. This is a closed book, no notes test.
4. Final written test on all curriculum. You must pass with an 85% score or higher to become certified. Testing includes questions that are multiple choice, matching and fill in the answers. Written test is a closed book, no notes test.
The online pre-tests will assist in preparing for the testing at the course.
Teresa Long – Director of Chopra Center Certifications, Certified Instructor
Sheila Patel, MD – Chopra Center Medical Director, Certified Instructor
Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar – Ayurvedic Physician and Chopra Center Advisory Board Member
Claire Diab – Chopra Center Advisory Board Member
Roger Gabriel – Chopra Center Advisory Board Member
Manjula Nadarajah – Chopra Center Master Educator
Tris Thorp – Chopra Center Master Educator
Perfect Health Teacher Training Faculty
* Faculty is subject to change
Sample Daily Schedule
The schedules of our programs are designed to provide a profound immersion in yoga philosophy, practice, and teaching techniques. A typical daily schedule includes:
10:00 am–12:00 pm
Note – The above schedule is subject to change. Program sessions may include lectures, workshops, interactive groups, yoga, meditation and testing.
Lunch is the only meal provided at the certification course. Breakfast and dinners are on your own. Resturants are onsite.
Transportation, Travel and Accommodations are not included.
For more information, visit http://www.chopra.com/chopra-center-certifications